I absolutely love halloween! It was always my favourite occasion from the age of 15 up until to not so long ago. But then I got a bit tired (and bit too old) for all the fake blood and ‘Scream’ masks. These days I like to have spooky and stylish gatherings instead of gory and crazy parties. I used to be planning my next year’s outfit on the 1st of November. Hopefully this two week advance warning will be enough time for you to make use of some of these ideas!I have collected up some pretty and inspiring images and links for you. So, here are my 13 ideas for a stylish Halloween including – decorating, music, eating, drinking, costumes and crafting.
1. Try carving a pineapple Jack o’lantern instead of a pumpkin. He looks creepy and cool all at the same time, and he has hair like mine!
2. Create soft luxurious velvet sculpture pumpkins like these super pretty ones made by Rachel Ashwell of Shabby Chic.
3. Dress up like a victorian inspired gothic witch, with lace, beading and a vintage broom.
4. Decorate your room with branches and black feathered faux birds, for Hitchcock style scares.
5. Dark ironwork chandeliers draped with cobwebs and dust look ever so eerie. Also great if you are a loather of house work as much as I am? You can leave the ‘above picture rail’ cleaning for a whole year to create the look for real!
7. This chandelier is the ultimate Miss Havisham interior piece. Dripping in fine chains and dusty crystals, like the layers of the famous Dickens’ character’s thread bare wedding dress. It might not be as extravagant, but I reckon something similar could be made.
8. A saucy Halloween playlist, there are some real treats on this one!
9. Hollow out some of those left over rosy red and green windfall apples and pop stubby candles inside for seasonal table decorations.10. No carve pumpkins are perfect for quick and beautiful table decorations. Spray paint them gold, chalk paint them pale or dark, then sprinkle with glitter, crystals, sequins or pompoms – all things I adore in abundance. I especially love this gold and monochrome scheme.
11. Chocolate and Salted Caramel Canapés, great for a dark hearted hostess, easy to assemble and delicious to eat.
12. And for something savoury – if you do decide to carve a pumpkin, why not roast up all those left over seeds for a simple table snack.
13 .Sultry and sinister cocktails – Partying is thirsty work so head on over to the hedgerow or green grocers and pick up some black berries for this Martini Diablo
6 oz vodka
1 oz dry vermouth
1.5 oz creme de cassis
a few ice cubes
Shake all ingredients in a shaker and pour into an ice-cold martini glass. Garnish with a few blackberries on a food safe stick or a small twig.
Fancy something creamier? Try the Evil Black & White Russian
2 oz vodka
1 oz calvados
2 oz Kahlua
1.5 oz cream
1 coffee bean crushed in a mortar